No one is immune from car accidents. They can happen to even the most conscientious drivers, so being prepared â€œjust in caseâ€ is always recommended.
First of all, before getting behind the wheel of a car, you must have auto insurance. Itâ€™s the law. Next, make sure you know what your particular insurance policy covers as this may save you a lot of trouble down the line. For instance, does it cover towing, ambulance service, etc.? Knowing the basics of your coverage can help you make sound decisions if the time comes.
Also, it is always a good idea to have a proper â€œemergency kitâ€ in the car, which includes first aid materials, flares or orange cones, emergency contact names, a cell phone, pen and paper, and finally a camera.
Now that you are prepared to leave your driveway, here are a few additional tips just in case you get into an accident.
- Remain calm. This is the most important thing to keep in mind and perhaps the toughest to pull off. Remember that the calmer you are, the more you will recall and the more logical your decision-making will be.
- Report your accident and let the authorities know if there are any injuries.
- Assuming there are no injuries, carefully exit your car, remaining aware of all traffic, and exchange insurance details with the other driver.
- Find out if any witnesses saw the accident and if so, take down their contact information.
- Do not blame or admit fault to anyone. This is something that will be better resolved during the investigation process.
- Take pictures of both cars and the damage incurred.
At Auto Insurance Specialists, we are here to protect you, so please keep the above tips in mind, and happy driving!
This content is offered for educational purposes only and does not represent contractual agreements. The definitions, terms and coverages in a given policy may be different than those suggested here and such policy will be governed by the language contained therein. No warranty or appropriateness for a specific purpose is expressed or implied.