Skip to content

California Auto Insurance – Preparing to Travel to Mexico

    2 minute read

    If you are a California motorist with plans that will take you into Mexico and you are getting there via car, here are a few things you should know.

    Don’t make the mistake of thinking if you have car insurance in California, then you will be covered once you cross the border. Mexico does not recognize U.S. insurance coverage. You will need to buy a Mexican auto insurance policy. Auto Insurance Specialists can assist with your Mexico Auto Insurance needs to get you set up with a policy for your trip whether you are going for a few days or longer.

    At the very minimum, you will need to purchase a Mexican auto liability policy. Included in this coverage is any property damage caused by your vehicle and legal liability coverage for injuries or deaths of anyone not in your car. It’s crucial to have a Mexican insurance policy in case the local drivers do not have any form of auto insurance, and because if you are in an accident or stopped by law enforcement and found to not have Mexican insurance, your car can be impounded and you could even go to jail.

    You should also be aware that under their “importation of vehicles” policy, Mexico requires anyone planning on driving further than the Border Zone or the Sonora Free Trade Zone (including the Baja California Peninsula) to obtain a vehicle importation permit. This is in addition to the Mexico auto insurance requirement.

    Finally, don’t forget under newly enforced laws, in order to come back to California, you’ll need to have your passport with you.  

    This content is offered for educational purposes only and does not represent contractual agreements. The definitions, terms and coverages in a given policy may be different than those suggested here and such policy will be governed by the language contained therein. No warranty or appropriateness for a specific purpose is expressed or implied.